Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's...............ANOTHER CAKE!!

So when we last checked on me...it appeared to the world that I had an incurable case of bread baking addiction. I mean, I made my fantastic rolls about 300,008,332,091 times, tried a variety of other roll recipes, made sweet bread, savory bread, and cinnamon rolls...and loved them!

Today, I realized as I have looked back on recent posts...I am suffering from cake addiction. It might be that there are a million birthdays and celebrations come summer, but regardless, I have made so much cake that I think it may be coming out of my ears.

But...like the bread baking...I LOVE IT! I get really attached to my cakes.

This cake is no different. A "Mountain Dew" cake masked in Legend of Zelda decor for my little brother's birthday!

Now I write "Mountain Dew" as such because this cake was for my 9 year old brother and my mother drew the line at incorporating the actual soda into the cake...which I'm sure would have been delicious. BUT I'm glad she didn't let me, because THIS cake was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

 I used a lemon cake mix (I'm the QUEEN of lazy baking haha) and a lime gelatin mix to create a lemon-lime poke cake!

You bake the cake according to your package instructions and let it cool. Use a fork to poke holes in the cake but don't poke all the way through! Stop the poking before you hit the pan :)

Mix the 3oz package of gelatin with 1 cup boiling water. Stir. When gelatin is fully dissolved, add 1/2 cup cold water and mix well.



Pour the gelatin over the poked cake and let it soak in. Cover and refrigerate. I let mine sit over night.

 Decorating cakes is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE PART of making cakes!! This one uses my lovely and reliable butter cream frosting (I gave the recipe in this past post) as a cover base. I lined the outside with Heath and used an orange food coloring with the same base frosting for the writing.

Now...Link looks amazing! You know why?? Because he isn't made out of frosting :/ I'm a little saddened that I "cheated" and printed him out. *sigh* I ran out of time. But it turned out looking better than any measley attempt I would have made anyways. For someone else's birthday, I guess that's more important than my wounded pride haha.

 The cake was rich. Rich rich rich. It's the billionaire of cakes lol. But it was soooo delicious. I felt like I was eating gold. Ok. I'm on the money metaphor and tooting my own horn...but it really was very tasty. I plan on trying many more poke-cake variations with different gelatin mixes. We'll see how it goes!


2 comments: